Transporting raw wood is an important means of introduction of new and damaging pests such as Thousand Cankers Disease of walnut and Emerald Ash borer. Both are commonly transported in firewood. You can help reduce the spread of pest problems by only burning wood from local sources (“buy it where you burn it”). Ask questions before you buy. Good questions to ask are:
- Where was this wood cut? Wood should not be brought in from other states, nor transported from distant cities.
- Is local wood available for purchase? Look for Colorado Forest Products logo which means 50% of wood is from Colorado forests.
- Can I buy firewood at my camping destination? Leave wood not burned in place.
- Is this wood treated – kiln dried or debarked? Firewood should be dry and ready to burn. Bark should be off easily and be removed before transporting.
- What tree species is this wood? Ash is high risk because of emerald ash borer.