What better place is there to create a rock garden than here in the Rockies. As we hike through the Rocky Mountains, it inspires us to create our own natural micro-climate in our backyards.
Once you have selected the area in your yard, it is time to step back and take into consideration the following:
- Use rocks of one geological type
- Consider creating a natural slope or terrace
- Insure good soil drainage
- Plant a variety of species, but with similar water and sun exposure needs.
- Plan on using perennials that are low growing and have a clumping habit.
For an extensive listing of recommended perennials, see the following CSU Extension Fact Sheet